Just for Fun Friday – Bike Commuting Questions Edition
Although I didn’t know it when I biked to work yesterday for the first time in my life, May is National Bike Month. Next week (5/14 – 5/18) is National Bike to Work Week, and Friday the 18th is National Bike to Work Day.
On my first-ever bike commute yesterday, I made a wrong turn since it looked a lot different on the bike than it does in a car, and I was distracted a bit. And yes, I’m the team’s navigator which explains why we never win anything. Regardless, I made it to work, and I loved it. However, I have a few questions for all of you veteran bike commuters out there.
- What do you carry your stuff in? Backpack? Messenger bag? What would you recommend?
- Do you carry extra bike clothes for the ride home? Putting my bike clothes back on to ride home was a bit gross. They were pretty sweaty even though it was a short ride in 70 degree weather. I can’t imagine how funky they’ll be in mid-Summer.
- Is it okay to bike on sidewalks? Or is that taboo? What if the sidewalk is a designated path for bikes and pedestrians like the Greenway here in Jefferson City?
- What do you say to coworkers who whistle at your hot ass in spandex?
- Do you lock your bike up? If so, what kind of lock? Do you have a storage space inside the building for your bike?
- How far is your commute?
- Any other tips, tricks, or knowledge bombs this newby bike commuter should know?
Seriously, I’d love to hear what you guys do. I think it would be helpful for not only me, but others who are new to bike commuting or thinking about starting it.