The SHART is Happening – RIGHT NOW!
You may have read the earlier post advertising an upcoming Team Virtus SHART. Well, it is here! Our SHART is now available for your pleasure, and just in time to brush up route planning and navigation skills for the Castlewood Adventure race. We plan to leave the course set for a couple of weeks, but don’t wait too long. There is no guarantee the points wont be removed by other folks in the area or carried away by Sasquatch.
This first edition is intended as a Mountain Bike-O, don’t worry about the picture above – that kind of stuff never happens. But feel free to do it on foot if you like that better, its short enough to do either way. The course is a combination of mostly sweet single-track and a little double-track (if you end up on pavement, you’ve made a big mistake). There are 15 checkpoints spread around the trails.
We intended the first SHART to be beginner friendly, so even though none of the CP’s are directly on a trail, all are within 50 meters. Most have distinguishing features or a handrail nearby. Depending on your navigation skills and route choice they can all be found within an 18 kilometer ride/run.
A quick reminder of how this works:
- Message one of our team members with the subject line: “I gotta SHART!”
- We’ll reply with a .pdf file of the pre-plotted 1:12000 map and a copy of the cluesheet.
- Print your map – 11×17 paper works out great, or go paperless and just scan the bar-code into your phone.
- Complete the course – remember to record the letters written in each CP to complete the secret phrase.
- Message us back with the secret phrase and a photo of you (clothing optional) near your favorite CP.
- We list you as an OFFICIAL finisher.
You already know we aren’t into making a bunch of rules, so you can use map and compass, dead reckoning, sextant, phone, or GPS. Whatever skills you want to work on, the course is available: Adventure Racing – Scavenger Hunt – Orienteering – Geocaching.